19.7.13

Foodie Friday : Summer lovin

I can be very picky when it comes to desserts, after all they are my passion. In the winter I tend to go for comfort foods: warm chocolate cakes and apple pies, basically any creamy, chocolatey dessert. But in the summer months I usually go for lighter, fruit based desserts that go perfectly with the weather (although the weather hasn´t been especially summery here in Iceland) as welas most of the fruits used are in season.


photo

On my vacation in England this spring I ate at Prét a manger,a British fast food chain with healthy, locally sourced ingredients (it´s a shame I don´t live in England , but I would consider moving there for the amazing fresh food at Prét alone). One fateful lunchtime I decided to grab a lemon cheesecake for dessert. The result was  one of the best desserts I have ever tasted. Ever since I have not been able to stop thinking about it and considering ways how I could recreate this wonderful flavor feast in my own kitchen. Finally I´ve found a  recipe that might come close to what I tasted at Prét, although I would trade in the graham crackers for gingersnap cookies to get an extra special flavor. I´m keeping my fingers crossed that this will work. I need this cheesecake in my life!




  
photo

 David Lebovitz´s blog is one of the few that I follow religiously. I love his recipes and the tales of life in Paris ( where I too wish I would live). His recipe for the  Cherry mess  is exactly how I would envision a summer dessert.  His take on this British dessert  recipe includes beautiful cherries, meringue pieces, whipped cream and candied almonds. Sounds dangerously good. I think this dessert would be good with a little amaretto poured over it, to make it extra special. 


photo
Another one of his summery recipes I´ve been wanting to try for a while now is the Grapefruit Campari sorbet.  Campari is my all time favorite drink so any dessert (or drink) involving Campari wins me over.  


photo

At my first job, one of the finest bakeries in Reykjavík, I remember that every summer we would sell these adorable (and yummy) strawberry tartlets, just like I used to eat in in my grandparents backyard in France, after we had all shared a good meal. Having fond memories connected to this fine dessert I would have to say that this is my favorite summer dessert and I will definitely be making my variation of these at some point this summer!


Have a great weekend, hopefully the sun will come out wherever you are

X
-A








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...